Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Defining Moments


There are those moments in our life that define who we are and what we’ll be remembered for. In sports Clevelanders are defined by “the drive” and “the shot.” In Pittsburgh it’s the “Immaculate Reception.” (I had to get that little dig in!)

But there are also personal defining moments. Each of us have these sacred moments from God where our destinies are written by our responses to those moments. They sometimes seem inconsequential at the time, but long term they set us in a direction that either leads us to or away from God. I think about a summer day in 1986 when I was browsing in a bookstore in Butler, PA when a woman came up to me and asked me if I was the youth pastor at the Community Alliance Church. She introduced herself to me as Rudy Stewart and then introduced me to her daughter, Dinita. Interesting defining moment in my life!

For the next several weeks, I'm going to be leading the congregation to consider some of the common defining moments that God has been putting in front of people for thousands of years. From the lives of people in God’s Word, we’ll draw out principles of capitalizing on the moment and reaping a destiny filled with hope and holiness.

This week we’ll start off with an easy one for all of my friends here at CrossPoint who've been on the "Boomerang Express" leaading our Five-day Clubs. They've been studying Peter all week! Peter had a number of defining moments in his life that made him into one of Christ’s great Apostles. We’ll review and apply several of his divinely appointed moments to see how we might be encountering the same opportunities to let Christ make a difference in our lives.

No comments:

Post a Comment