Saturday, July 11, 2009

On blogging, preaching and salvation!

I tried a long time ago to get a blog going. I think it was 2007. I'm still trying to keep up with my daughters in IT and I never thought I would have to do that. I was always showing them how to do things on the computer. I'm not sure where it was that they passed me up ... but all they do is look at me and roll their eyes when I ask a simple question about how Facebook works.

But more and more I think of things that I would love to share with others. There are times when I wish that we still had a Sunday night church service. (They are few and far between but I still do have them!) There is so much that God puts on my heart that I could never get across in a 40 minute sermon on Sunday. There are Sunday afternoons when I think of all the other things that I wish I had said.

And on top of that there is so many other things on which I would love to get insight from others on. Preaching is SO one way! There are times when I'm preaching and there is in some back room closet of my mind this nagging thought of "I wonder how so and so is taking this?"

My message for tomorrow is one huge case in point. "Are You Saved?" sounds like a pretty standard and evangelical message about salvation. But I would love to have loved to have had a collection of stories and others insights about what makes them think they are saved. The point of my message is that way too often we depend on lesser things to bring us our assurance of salvation. It actually is going to be pretty controversial since I'm guessing that most people have a pretty narrow idea of what God means when he talks about salvation in His Word. We'll see.

Hopefully, this blog will open up some discussion and interaction on the subject and we can all wrestle with these priciples and ideas so that we indeed do become all that God wants us to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment