Thursday, May 24, 2012

Memorial Day Weekend

    A few years ago I wrote an article for a newspaper for one of the local senior citizen living communities on Memorial Day. I had never given it much thought but as I researched and found out some of the significant aspects to the observance I was humbled and embarrassed that I'd never thought of the weekend as much more than the kick off to summer fun.
    The past 7 or 8 years my family and I have gone to the Copley Memorial Day Ceremonies. To be honest ... we went because my two daughters were in the High School band. But every year I go away with a new and fresh sense of humility and thankfulness for those who have sacrificed their lives for the sake of preserving and advancing freedom and human dignity in our world. It's not just a "God and County" celebration but a moment to take into account what sacrifice and serving others really looks like.
    If you can find a Memorial Day observance to attend ... just do it! If you're in the Akron area I'd recommend the Copley Township program. It begins with a short parade at 10:00 starting at the Middle School and then heading to the Copley Cemetery on Copley Road. The program at the Cemetery begins about 10:20 and will run through the 11:00 hour. This year the featured speaker is Major Raven Bukowski, a 1999 Copley High School graduate and 2003 graduate of West Point.

Greater love has no one than this,
that someone lay down his life for his friends.
 
 John 15:13 


No comments:

Post a Comment